[linux-dvb] Re: Polarization in DVB-T?

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:24:47 +0100
Nico <nsabbi@tiscali.it> wrote:

> in frontend.h there's no polariziation parameter for ofdm, yet
> the few stations transmitting DVB-T streams  always specify
> H polarization in their specs.
>
> Is H the only possible polarization for all DVB-T transmissions?
> Here COFDM will be used; is it any different from the OFDM
> used in other countries?
> Will the current drivers have problems with it?

Hi Nico,

I have no detailed info about the DVB-T technical spec, but as far as
I know, we (we, as Italian users, but maybe everyone else too) can
receive the DVB-T signal through our existing analog TV antenna.
So the answer is simple: you have no control of the polarization
(without going on the roof and physically turning your antenna).

Most of the analog channels are now horizontal here in Italy, and
the only vertical ones are in the VHF band (easy recognizable
because of the bigger antennas used).

I think we could switch between two antennas using DiseqC
and maybe motorize them too, if DiseqC is not incompatibile
for some reason (well, it has satellite in its name).
Would that be useful? Not too much, I think, as we are not doing
it with analog TV, where disturbing ghosts and reflections could be
improved by using an antenna rotor.

   Roberto Ragusa    r.ragusa at libero.it