[linux-dvb] Re: Polarization in DVB-T?

Nico wrote:

Hi,
in frontend.h there's no polariziation parameter for ofdm, yet
the few stations transmitting DVB-T streams  always specify
H polarization in their specs.

Is H the only possible polarization for all DVB-T transmissions?
Here COFDM will be used; is it any different from the OFDM
used in other countries?
Will the current drivers have problems with it?
no - polarisation is a pure antenna alignment/type issue - I'm not aware of any terrestrial antenna with switchable polarisation.

In any case you can receive all polarisations with a single antenna - if the orientation (horizontal/vertical/left-/rightcircular) of the transmitting antenna does not matches the one of the receiving antenna you will just get a weaker signal with a loss of a few dB. I'm not sure about the absolute loss in this situation, maybe it was 3dB, maybe 6dB - check the literature or google a little around - I'm pretty sure you'll find lots of pages regarding this issue in the do-it-yourself-wireless-antenna forums on the web.

Holger