[linux-dvb] Re: /dev/dvb empty

Brendan Bispham wrote:

Hi Roland,

Mine differs greatly...

Indeed.

DVB: registering new adapter (DEC2000-t).
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC2000-t Frontend)...
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC USB
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 2
hub 4-0:1.0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 3
DVB: registering new adapter (DEC2000-t).
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC2000-t Frontend)...

Messages, without debug=1:
Jan 19 10:49:20 vinnie2 kernel: drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC USB
Jan 19 10:49:31 vinnie2 kernel: drivers/usb/core/usb.c: deregistering driver TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC USB
Jan 19 10:49:31 vinnie2 kernel: ttusb_dec_disconnect
Jan 19 10:49:41 vinnie2 kernel: usb 1-2: bulk timeout on ep4in

I do remember this error message (timeout on ep4in).
I got it when I unloaded
then reloaded the module after a failed loading attempt
(hotplug scripts not installed). Power cycling the device
before unloading the driver solved the problem,
but I assume it doesn't here.

[...]

ha ha - just seen that windows has changed my clock for me :)

Certainly, son. Windows knows much better what time
it is than you do. And you better believe it, because
no more OfficeXP for you if you don't.
</sarcasm>

That's what dmesg looks like for me. Your best
bet might be to check whether your hotplug scripts
are recent enough.

The finest that Gentoo has to offer...

USE="~x86" emerge -s hotplug

* sys-apps/hotplug
Latest version available: 20030805-r3
Latest version installed: 20030805-r3
Size of downloaded files: 43 kB
Homepage: http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net

I'm not convinced it's working though, but if I get this working I'll compile the code into the kernel anyway.

AFAIK it will still need the hotplug scripts even when
compiled into the kernel. I use the hotplug-scripts
distribution of January 5 2004; you can try them out
using

wget http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/linux-hotplug/hotplug-2004_01_05.tar.gz
tar -xzf hotplug-2004_01_05.tar.gz
cd hotplug-2004_01_05
make install

last line as root. Better deinstall the gentoo'ized package
first, too.

It might also be a good idea to check out if
the box works under another operation system
in order to rule out a hardware problem.

Just tried in XP and it works (albeit a bit flaky startup, once it gets going it works. I tried a DVB data program that crashes on "getmacaddress failed").
I did notice the following:
When working in XP, the video (no audio) is on the tv. The remote control and the software changes channels.

Behaviour under linux (at least for me) is different: Audio
and Video on the TV, remote does nothing.

I will go check the filesize on my firmware when I get
home, just to make sure there aren't multiple
different 2.15a's floating around.

Sincerely,
Roland