[linux-dvb] Re: Streaming from hard disk

Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Gert-Jan van Dijk wrote:
> >
> >I'm working on a STB implementation, we chose the DVB-API together with
> >3) Did take a look at the release notes of newer drivers, but didn't
> >find related issues being resolved.
> >4) Did NOT look at th driver code.

It is not clear to me whether you talk about your drivers one from
linuxtv.org.

> But you can do this in software, too - in this case you need to
> implemend a dummy driver that implements a pseudo frontend (see e.g.
> http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/dvb-kernel/linux/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/dvb_dummy_fe.c?rev=1.5&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
> - you would use this to switch between different streams from your disk or
> to switch between different streams from network streaming servers) and
> some code that registers a software demux and calls the dvb_dmx_swfilter()
> callback with the data read from disk or a network connection. Since
> multiple people asked for a solution like this we highly welcome patches
> implementing such a debugging driver.

The tricky part is the timing of the TS playback. For the
av7110 driver the dvr device slurps data as fast as the
disk can deliver it, unless you set a video and/or audio PID
with DMX_OUT_DECODER in which case the MPEG decoder controls
the timing.

Johannes