[linux-dvb] Streaming from hard disk

Hi,

I'm working on a STB implementation, we chose the DVB-API together with a Linux Platform to start with. This will ease developement, and give us better debugging tools ,and the possibility to stream our test TS's.

Now in the latter lies the problem. If you take a look at VDR, it uses streams to playback recorded events (AFAIK). We, however, want to be able to use our teststreams to test our stack, and thus zap from one service to another, ie the middleware stack doesn't "see" the difference between a HD feed, or a FE feed (there is a logical device abstraction layer, to, amongst other things, make it HW independant (at least we hope ;-) )).

As of last week, I was able to fool the stack (upon a zap to another service) by first stopping the filters (and thus the streaming from HD), then stopping the decoders, starting the filters (on different PIDs, and the streaming) and starting the decoders. In any other order would cause the demux write function to lock.

But, as of now, we don't have hard-coded pids anymore, we retrieve them on the fly from the PMT. You see, we have a problem, as the PES filters are stopped, and thus our PSI/SI parser cannot retrieve the PMT.

What I did, and did not:
1) I did tincker with it quite a lot, but see no way to make it work.
2) Tried the newsgroup to look for related topics. No luck.
3) Did take a look at the release notes of newer drivers, but didn't find related issues being resolved.
4) Did NOT look at th driver code.

So my questions:
1) Is there another (hidden/unknown (to me?)) API that I can use?
2) Is this not foreseen in the driver, and yes, this is not a feature to be expected, I agree?
3) What I would like is that HD streaming would be independant from PES filtering. Sure, I need to give a symbol rate or something, but that's no problem.
a) Is such a feature available?
b) If not, can I make it in the driver, and can somebody point me into the right direction?
4) Am I missing something obvously, and did I perhaps take the wrong route?

Thanks for reading this rather length e-mail (sorry about that).

Regards,

Gert-Jan van Dijk