[linux-dvb] Re: 2.6 request_firmware and frontends

> Actually, firmware loading is a little different.
> It always has to be done once the frontend is identified no matter
> which card the frontend is on. So, each callback would do almost the
> same and a lot of code would be copied. Somehow passing "struct
> driver" would probably be easier in this case.
> Shouldn't a frontend driver (or rather each I2C driver) even get its own
> "struct driver"? I'll do some digging in the 2.6.x code.

Not in the linuxtv dvb kernel tree; it doesn't use i2c-core, so the DVB i2c
drivers only reference a struct dvb_adapter.. hmm.. its a pity you can't get
away with just saying "give me firmware XXX, and I'll use it for all devices
I support".

I think we're going to have to request the firmware for at least one specific
device. Whether the frontend driver caches the firmware and re-uses it, or
just requests it every time is going to have to be up to it...

As for the code duplication... it would be minimal; I was thinking of a VERY
thin layer over request_firmware().. basically all the hardware dvb adapter
driver's callback function does is call the kernel request_firmware() adding
its struct device* into the call.