[linux-dvb] no core files! ulimit hard settings?

I know this is off topic, and I apologize - but other lists and
SuSE all seem to be unresponsive.  Given the high number of
European folk on this list, I'm hoping someone is using SuSE 9.0
and can help me.

I'm just upgraded to SuSE 9.0 and ulimit fails to reset my core
limits:

gherlein@folly:~> ulimit -c 10000
bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted

I modified /etc/security/limits.conf:

*               hard    core            10000
*               soft    core            10000

I modified /etc/initscript

---
# Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps.
umask 022
ulimit -c 10000
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

# Increase the hard filedescriptor limit for all processes
# to 8192.  The soft limit is still 1024, but any unpriviliged
# process can increase it's soft limit up to the hardlimit
# with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel).
ulimit -Hn 8192

# Execute the program.
eval exec "$4"
---

It still does not work for regular users, though root can do it.
I am *assuming* that someplace a hard limit is getting set for
regular users - but I cannot find it in the init stuff.

I need to get core dumps, and it appears that SuSE has tried to
make it "user friendly" a bit too agressively.

Clearly I am missing something simple - but I cannot find out
what it is by googling or reading the SuSE docs or man pages.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Greg