[linux-dvb] Re: Nova-T pCI hangup/freeze

Jon Dye wrote:
Simon at the Threshold wrote:
[...]
I've installed the current drivers (1.0.1) on my box (an Athlon 2.4ghz
Duron on a KV7 motherboard) and pretty much from the start I've had hang
ups and system freezes. No logs that I can see the main symptom is the
box is dead (even the keyboard interupt appears to be dead). From the
heat generated from the CPU its stuck in a loop of death.

If I simply load the dvb files then nothing happens but as soon as I run
up the mythtv backend which does scheduled recoding and live tv the
system will go down with 15 mins. I'm currently running tests with
dvbstream to see how long I can run and see if the box freezes. After
all it maybe something mythtv is doing.

I am seeing the same thing with a Nova-T on a Gigabyte 7VT600-L (KT600 chipset) with gentoo, kernel 2.4.22 and the DVB 1.0.1 drivers. The symptoms are that the box will lock with the caps lock and scroll lock lights flashing, the Alt-SysRq- magic keys still work so I am able to sync my disks and reboot. I am also using mythtv and the problem appears to only occur when the application stops recording a program.

I have also tried a vanilla 2.6.1 kernel with the built-in dvb drivers and this time the machine does not lock but the mythbackend process dies after a minute or so and the following appears in my logs:
[...]

I've got an update on this which may help someone. If I increase the latency_timer for the pci slot using setpci then the freezes and crashes go away. I'm currently using 128 as a value and it's been rock solid for over a week now. I saw issues about latency with this card mentioned on this list but I thought they were all about corrupted streams because data isn't read quickly enough. I am a little confused how the latency timer for the device can cause the kernel to complain about bugs and for the machine to freeze!

JD