[linux-dvb] Re: Testers wanted

Holger Waechtler wrote on 26.01.04 12:15:36:

> Hi,
>
> we're preparing the 1.1.0 release in the CVS repository. In order to
>
> if no serious problems arise we hope to be able to announce the release
> within the next few days,
> many thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Holger

Hi,

I installed the drivers yesterday but I had some problems.

My system: SuSE 9.0 (Kernel 2.4.21-Athlon), VDR 1.2.6 with Elchi3, ImprovedOSD, AutoPID, AC3overDVB. Mainboard: Elitegroup K7S5A (SiS), PCI Latency: 64. Primary Card Nexus Rev. 2.1, secondary card Nova-CI (new revision)/SkyStar 2 Rev 2.3.

I start VDR via inittab using the runvdr script. The runvdr script loads the 1.1.0 drivers using the inmod.sh script in the build-2.4 directory.

First, I tested the drivers with the Nova-CI. As you can read on http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=7825&sid=8687c774e140d503a16869577fa2569b&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1, some newer revisions (like mine) have problems tuning to channels of the ProSiebenSat.1 transponder in the first 10-20 minutes with the 1.0.1 drivers.
With the 1.1.0 drivers, I got "video data stream broken" errors even after 20 minutes, the recording was not usable. Recording another channel (wich also means switching the channel on the Nova-CI) did not help, and this time, all channels were affected. After restarting the system (after 20 minutes), the card worked as expected - no more errors.

Then, I replaced the Nova-CI against the SkyStar 2. With the 1.0.1 drivers, the card worked out of the box, but unfortunately, as you know, got too hot and caused errors in recorded streams. With 1.1.0, my linux system hangs completely while the drivers are being loaded. I can see the "convergence" message on the TV screen, but then, the system does not react anymore. Restarting the system did not help.
I am going to remove the line from inittab and load the drivers manually this evening to see any error messages.

Do you have any hints? If you believe there is a major bug, please contact me via PM explaining how I can generate a useful error log as I am not a linux pro :-)

With kind regards

Jörg