[linux-dvb] transport errors & femon

Hi all,

I've got two DVB cards, an Avermedia (bt-8xx & sp887x) and
a Technotrends type (budget-ci & tda1004x).

On both cards I am getting a lot of transport errors reported by Xine
and MythTV on certain TV stations. We have five stations here and one or
two work perfectly but at least two give me regular transport errors.

Looking at the source code for Xine and Myth, they inspect a bit in each
packet of the MPEG-2 transport stream and declare a transport error if
that bit is set.

I've been trying to get some information from the dvb drivers to see
what they think ie why I'm getting these errors. I've found:

1. femon does not report any UNC (uncorrected?) errors. The BER is
   0x200 - 0x280 mostly (Technotrends card). The reported BER is even
   lower on the Avermedia card. (less than 0x200, often less than
   0x100).

2. I've loaded dvb-core with "debug=1" to enable debugging from
   dmxdev.c and I'm not getting any buffer overruns reported in there.

Could anybody give me any suggestion about what these transport errors
mean? Are Xine/MythTV inspecting a bit in the MPEG-2 TS header or is
that a header added by the DVB drivers? I don't see why an error bit
would be included in the on-air protocol so I assume it must be updated
by the hardware or drivers.

Better still, what can I do to resolve it? I'm considering removing that
check in Xine/Myth to see what effect that would have..

Thanks

Hamish