[linux-dvb] Re: transport errors & femon

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:43:28PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On both cards I am getting a lot of transport errors reported by Xine
> and MythTV on certain TV stations. We have five stations here and one or
> two work perfectly but at least two give me regular transport errors.
>
> Looking at the source code for Xine and Myth, they inspect a bit in each
> packet of the MPEG-2 transport stream and declare a transport error if
> that bit is set.

[..]

> Could anybody give me any suggestion about what these transport errors
> mean? Are Xine/MythTV inspecting a bit in the MPEG-2 TS header or is
> that a header added by the DVB drivers? I don't see why an error bit
> would be included in the on-air protocol so I assume it must be updated
> by the hardware or drivers.

So I did a bit more digging. It seems that that IS a bit in the MPEG2
transport stream header. The tda1004x is transport stream-aware, so
either it's setting the bit because it detected an uncorrectable error,
or the transmitting station set the bit (which would seem to be a bit
daft).

So, if the tda1004x is detecting uncorrectable errors and flagging them
in the received packets, why doesn't it return a non-zero count when
asked for its uncorrected error count? (eg when running femon, which
appears to ultimately query the tda1004x over the i2c bus).

I'm having problems with the sp887x card too. I have seen that report
uncorrectable errors in the counters, but I get transport errors from
that which aren't counted, just like the tda1004x.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Hamish