[linux-dvb] Re: Ultra Light Encapsulation

Hi,

Olaf Menzel wrote:

> I am thinking about to implement a IPv6/DVB test encapsulator for some
> native IPv6 tests over DVB-S and DVB-T.
> Therefore I will use the DVB Master III TX from
> http://www.computermodules.com. Most of the IP/DVB encapsulators are
> based on the MPE mechanism.
> This protocol is standard but it produces a lot of traffic overhead. The
> IETF IP-over-DVB WG proposed the new ULE protocol to be used for DVB data
> transmission instead of MPE:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ule-02.txt
>
> Was LinuxTv.org already starting an ULE implementation or have you already
> considered about it ?
> This would help a lot because I only have to implement the transmitting
> part (IPv6/DVB encapsulator).
> best regards

Well, I guess it's a chicken-egg problem. There are no ULE streams
"out there", so why should anyone bother to implement it?
If anyone did, they did not post about it on the list.

I had a quick look at the ULE spec, and I'm surprised it
doesn't use the MPEG2 private section format. Section
reassembly and filtering is commonly done in hardware, whereas
the ULE spec requires a software implementation (on common DVB
hardware) for basically the same thing. The only drawback of the
MPEG2 section format is a length limitation of 4096 bytes.

(This is not an issue for most PCI-cards where
section filtering is done in software anyway.)

Johannes