[linux-dvb] Difference in image quality between nova and nexus: is this something well-known?

Dear list,

after a lot of joy with a 'budget' nova-s, I needed to switch to a
nexus for a project that needs material from to CAM-accessible TV
stations. The driver works, including the conversation with
CI/CAM. But I am experiencing a serious worsening in the quality of
the MPEG streams I receive. While the nova showed a spotless reception
for all free-to-air stations, the nexus generates a lot of artefacts
in many of the station. This happens without in any way changing the
dish positioning: I remove the cable from one card and plug it into
the other (at the same time swapping the cards: I always work with
just one card in the computer).

Some stations are error free with nexus, too. For example, Astra's
frequencies 11568/v/22000 (RAI, among others) and 12344/h/27500 (BVN)
have a good quality, while frequencies 11778/h/27500 (CNN) and
11954/h/27500 (Euronews) have a very poor result. This happens in
Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Actually, the signal has the same strength
with both cards, and signal lock is stable in both cases. But the
stream that is output from the nexus card is full of errors. I verify
it with my self-developed software, collecting the undecoded MPEG
stream, as well as by using vdr, and the internal MPEG
decompressor. With the nova card, all above stations generate a
spotless stream.

Is this known and expected? Or is there some workaround? Some possible
parameters to play with?

Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed.

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido@fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe