[linux-dvb] Re: SMP/preempt/hyperthreading (was: b2c2 with opensky)

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:47:23PM +0200, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:
> I can NOT use preempt: if I enable it I can watch tv, but I cannot use
> dvbnet services.
> It is a long time I'm asking help to isolate this problem!
>
> When I launch dvbnet the keyboard stop working (keypresses do nothing).
> I try to shut down the system using the mouse (in KDE), but after
> killing X the systen hangs.
> I can safely use sysrq to show messages and reboot, but I don't know how
> to write messages somewhere and I can't scroll/read them all (keyboard
> does not work except sysrq)!
>
> How can I help you helping me?

Sometimes pressing SysRq-S a couple of times fllowed by SysRq-U
will get the log message into /var/log/... (depending on syslog.conf).

If you have two machines you could try serial console or netsonsole
(netconsole is in 2.6.5, see Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt).

Johannes