[linux-dvb] Re: tda1004x.c and support of future firmware

Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:32, Michael Hunold wrote:
> > 1. Rename the default firmware from "tda1004x.bin" to
> > "dvb-fe-tda1004x-2.15a.fw".
>
> That's the Technotrend Windows driver version, not the DSP firmware
> version.

What's important is that the driver and the firmware work together.
That's why I chose to include an *interface* version number in
dvb-ttpci-01.fw, so users can just use the newest *compatible*
firmware. If you can just drop in the newest tda1004x firmware
the driver doesn't need to know about this.

> > You just need to extend tda10045h_fwinfo or tda10046h_fwinfo with the
> > appropriate informations about the firmware you like to add. If there'll
> > ever be two firmwares that have the same file_size, then we need to
> > store some more informations to distinguish the different versions.
>
> Why do we use a Windows DLL anyway? Isn't it better to extract the dsp
> firmware files from the DLL and call them e.g. "dvb-fe-tda10045.fw" and
> "dvb-fe-tda10046.fw"? request_firmware() will store the file size in
> fw->size and that's basically all one needs to know. The comparison of
> the (hardcoded) firmware version in tda1004x_check_upload_ok is quite
> useless IMHO.

Full ACK. Let's put that firmware extraction stuff in a nice userspace
tool. It doesn't belong in the kernel.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index