[linux-dvb] Re: Do dvb drivers support Nagravision CA?

Thomas Schorpp wrote:

Do the DVB drivers support the Nagravision CA system?

NO, not possible under GPL, since those are (possibly patented) proprietary algorithms requiring license fees for CAM- or sw-iplementation to nagravision company.

however, therere a patches for driver firmwares and sw-emulator plugins for older paytv systems to viewer progs around on certain "TCPA researcher" websites, but using these in any way is significantly OUTLAWED in almost every country!

i recommend you buying legal cam hw extensions to your dvb, vdr and others should support it.
But that's what I meant.

I can go into the marketplace, and buy a DVB card with a CAM extension. I can buy a Nagravision CAM containing all their proprietry algorithms, plug it into the DVB card along with any relevant smartcard giving me legal access to the content.

My question is: once I have bought the above hardware and CA module, and one I have obtained permission from the content provider to do this, will the Linux DVB drivers be able to handle content from this setup?

(Let me make it clear, I am NOT trying to find ways to hack, crack or otherwise illegally access content. I am trying to find a Linux solution to LEGALLY access a Nagravision encrypted program stream. Surely something like this has been done before?).

Regards,
Graham