[linux-dvb] Re: Changing PIDS (DVB-T in the UK)

On Monday 26 July 2004 16:31, Alistair Hamilton wrote:

> Is this something that just happens from time to time?

It is.

> If so, do the. broadcasters tell anyone?

Yep, the data is broadcast in the transport stream :)

> I can only assume that dedicated
> receiver/decoders have some mechanism for dealing with these changes
> automatically.

Yes - can you imagine the average Joe Punter trying to enter lists of
APID/VPID/TPID many times a month? =)

> Can we do this?

Yes, but what 'we' are you referring to? It's something that needs to happen
in userspace - e.g. VDR now takes note of the relevant data (I can't remember
if this is the NIT, PAT, SDT, or other three-letter acronym)...

The PIDs change around on a daily basis for some channels because they share
capacity, e.g. CBBC/Cbeebies and BBC THREE / BBC FOUR...

So, if you wanted to do this from a more Heath-Robinson method of watching
digital TV, it'd really need to be based on cronjobs regenerating the
channels.conf....

gdh

Home | Main Index | Thread Index