[linux-dvb] Re: Questions about dvdplayer

Andreas Wohlfeld writes:
 > On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:07:46PM +0100, Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > >  > > But can you get the AC3 stream (e.g. from Pro7) out of the spdif connector?
 > >  > > I haven't yet connected my dvb-s to my dd receiver so I have no
 > >  > > experience with that.
 > >  >
 > >  > As stated by Ralph Metzler this is not possible due to some hardware
 > >  > related limitations. I guess the data forwarder isn't able to handle ac3
 > >  > streams. Ralph: is that true?
 > >
 > > Yes, that's correct.
 > > To handle AC3 one would have to have control over the complete output
 > > stream to create the appropriate headers.
 > > But on the current hardware you cannot do that. You can only send PCM
 > > data.
 >
 > So the DVB-S can't do it, but can you get the AC3 stream and send it to
 > a soundcard? Alsa can output AC3 streams with Trident and other cards.

Yes, you can do that.
You can see in the API description how to set up a PES filter.
For the old API I posted an example how to do this some time ago.

At that time I tried piping it through ac3dec but the decoded sound
was lagging behind the picture quite a bit.
But if you pipe it through the AC3 output of the sound card and decode
it in hardware it could be fine.

Ralph

---