[mpeg2] Re: mpex experience

On Thursday 21 August 2003 13.46, Werner John wrote:
> Hi Thomas
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Thomas Sparr writes:
> > On Thursday 21 August 2003 10.14, Werner John wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am planing to get one of these mpex cards. But firstly, I would like
> > > to ask if someone on this list has any experience with this card.
> > >
> > > Werner
> >
> > Hi Werner,
> >
> > I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Do you have one with a TV tuner onboard?

No. I need the multiple inputs instead.

> > The most important thing to keep in mind are that the drivers are not
> > really finished yet.
>
> Well, I have no problem with that, since it's just some kind of hobby.
>
> > Video capture works perfect and and you can get an Mpeg2 tranport stream
> > just by doing something like this: cat /dev/v4l/video1 > test.m2t
> > [...]
>
> That sounds good.
>
> > In the driver I use there is no way to control the mpeg encoder (bitrate,
> > format etc) but there are a new driver out for 2.6.0-test3 and
> > 2.4.22-pre_somthing that should be able to do that.
>
> Where do you get the latest drivers from? Do they also support the tuner?

http://bytesex.org/saa7134 for the latest driver
http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/mpex.xml also has a driver (probably an older
version but it works for me with kernel 2.4.20).

version saa7134-20030813 seems to support the tuner but you nedd kernel
2.6.0-test3 for using that, I think.
Maybe someone else on the list can answer that.

> > As soon as changing bitrate and format on the mpeg2 encoder works this
> > will be a nice card although a bit expensive I think...
>
> yes, it is. Haupauge also sells cards with an mpeg2 encoder (and one with
> en- and decoder). Are there drivers available for these cards under linux?

Sorry, I don't know about that.

> Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index