[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] Most stable system?

Matt Tovey wrote:

> OK, I'm about to convert my wife's TV (!) to use a DVB server, and I
> need this to be as stable as possible. :)
>
> What Linux version is currently recommended for a stable system? I know
> it has to be kernel 2.4.X, but is there a particular kernel version that
> is preferred? And is SUSE preferred over Redhat (I have more experience
> with Redhat)?

There is no reason not to use the latest kernel (2.4.14), runs stable
here for several days.

For a vdr-only machine I would recommend to build the nessesary
programms yourself und not to use a distribution. I you want, I can
upload my system, its 'tar'ed about 6 MB and expanded about 11 MB.

(based on linux-2.4.14, glibc-2.2.4, busybox-60.1, lcdproc, lilo-21.7,
etc.)

Alfred

Home | Main Index | Thread Index