[vdr] n cards on 1 line (was: second card on loopthrough)

Hello list,

I played around with the same thoughts - I have two antenna connections
(astra only) available on my vdr box. Currently, there is one DVB-s and
one Hauppauge Nova installed in it. When adding a third card, there would
be one connection too less.

1st solution: A splitter for about 10 $. Problem: h/v switching wouldn't
work. Solution: edit channels.conf so that the two cards connected with
the splitter ONLY connect vertical OR horizontal channels (ok, horizontal
channel is a polyseme in some way ;-) ). All other Programs should only be
received by the fully functional first card.

2nd solution: I don't really need RAI Uno and DW-TV, neither do I need
Arabic channels. So I could use a multiswitch which only switches between
high band horizontal and high band vertical. For this solution I would
need a multiswitch (~ 80 $) and a 22kHz generator (price unknown, maybe
homebrew). This solution would be the better one if you want to keep the
flexibility of watching and recording several channels on different
polarization; it would as well give you the possibility to have 6/8 cards
in your systems (depending on free pci slots ;-) ).

3rd solution: Buy an "Octo-Switchable" LNB (Reichelt, $150) or a
Multiswitch/Quattro-LNB combination (Reichelt, 6 users $135, 8 users
$150). The second thing is probably what I will do around Xmas time.

I've already given up thinking about solution 1 or 2, but I just wanted to
put in my two cents when I read you were discussing on "cable splitting".

Regards,
Dirk

Home | Main Index | Thread Index