[vdr] Re: Stop writing video 2MB before disk full [was Drop supportfor multiplevideo dirs?]

Andreas Kool wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:35:41PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > > Yes, thats exactly the point.
> > > If a video has to stop 2MB earlier that is almost unnoticable.
> > > But if the disk is completley full, vdr gets real problems and behaves
> > > quite strange because of the administrative files like
> > > resume, marks, links,....
> >
> > Sure, 2MB might be enough for such stuff, but 2MB in video data
> > is about 4 seconds, which means that VDR would have to check
> > the free disk space at a rather high rate. Besides, I'd really
>
> Oh no, please _dont_ do the frequently "df" stuff here :-(
>
> > suggest to leave at least a few hundred MB free. After all, this is
> > a disk that has a capacity of several GB - or else it wouldn't be used
> > for recording video ;-)
>
> How about the following idea:
>
> 1. VDR creates a ("empty") file "/video0/spare" with a user defined
>    size ( >= 1GB ... ) if it does not exist anyway
>
> 2. If VDR's write() to disk fails with errno==ENOSPC (No space left on
> device)
>    2.1 Stop the current (and maybe any other recordings)
>    2.2 Remove the file "/video0/spare"
>    2.3 Stop VDR (with fatal exit code)
>
> Problem solved?

What happens, if there isn't enough space for the "spare"-file? I prefer
a solution, where vdr stops recording if there is less than minFreeSpace
space free. I think, this is the cleanest solution. Maybe we can tolerate,
if vdr checks the free space only a few times within a recording (or
cutting).
And why should there be a exit of vdr, if there is not enough space? Isn't
it possible to watch tv even without free space? ;-)

Martin