From: Andrew Morton
Subject: 2.5.42-mm1
To: linux-kernel
Date: 2002-10-11 22:50:02 PST

Robert Love wrote:

> Andrew, any experience on one vs. the other?

I'd say that if you were designing a new application which
streams large amount of data then yes, you would design it
to use O_DIRECT.  You would instantiate a separate IO worker
thread and a message passing mechanism so that thread would
pump your data for you, and would peform your readahead, etc.

If your filesystem supports O_DIRECT, of course.  Not all do.

The strength of O_STREAMING is that you can take an existing,
working, megahuge application and make it play better with the
VM by changing a single line of code.  No big redesign needed.
----end quote----

Carsten.