[vdr] Re: Sigmadesign chips with VDR

Am Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2003 14:02 schrieben Sie:

> 1. Software decoding.
> 2. Hardware decoding
>
> With software decoding in mind mplayer can handel all the media content im
> interested in ie. Divx/XVid/Quicktime/Real/WMF etc.
>
> But requires a decent speed cpu.
>

> The only option i have seen so far for Hardware decoding would be the
> sigmadesigns cards.
> specificially interested in the
>
> EM8610 and EM8605, these cards work in Linux and as far as im aware also
> support DVB decoding which would be a nice option for using with embeded
> systems for cheaper production.

Forget SigmaDesigns. No cooperation in any way. I've dropped using hw-decoders
as their life-time-circle is too short (a new codec and you can put it into a
trash-can) and there are always problems with HW-support.

Get a passively cooled Mini- or NanoITX PC. For software you could try NMM
(www.networkmultimedia.org). It's a multimedia-architecture based on nodes
with I/O-filters on a standardized API. It's much like DirectX, but with
complete network-transparency. The nodes are connected by the GUI. There's
already a GUI included called MMBOX, featuring TV, EPG, DVD, MP3, CD-Audio,
... There isn't a cutting-plugin, yet. But it as it can transcode into a lot
of formats/codecs any cutting-tools can be used and it's quite easy to write
a cutting-node.

It can already use X11 or DXR3 for output.

By the way, they're looking for package maintainers get it into the distros

Rene