[vdr] Re: Enhancing vdr UI usability

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 05:27:55PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> I'm afraid I can't follow you there: you actually find it more user
> friendly to press a button to open a submenu, select an option from
> there and press "Ok", than to simply press a single color button?

I was more thinking about having the options on-screen and selectable
with a remote using the arrows/Ok button.  This is typically how a
standalone STB would do it.

> I find the color button feature very useful and don't plan to change
> that.

To each his own...  I want my vdr box to more closely resemble the
operation of every other STB I've ever used.

In programming a learning remote (atiusb) to control vdr, I noticed too
many of what I consider to be inconsistencies in how the user interface
is structured.  In an STB, the arrow keys and the "Ok" button are enough
to navigate the various screens.  There is no need to press
Red/Green/Yellow/Blue on different screens to perform different actions.

I am hoping to build some flow diagrams which might better explain what
I am referring to.

> > Regarding an EPG/IPG, I would like to see something in the grid format
> > that we've grown accustomed to in consumer electronics devices.
>
> I believe there is a plugin that does this.

Would you happen to know the name of it?  Is it generic in that it'll
use the existing VDR EPG data without having dependencies on a certain
service or data source?

Mike.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index