[vdr] Re: kvdr-0.61 and xv?

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 11:18:13AM +0200, Guido Fiala wrote:

> Now it's more clear - it has something to do with the synchronising between
> video and Monitor. I will try using select() and see if that makes it any
> better. But there is another effect - see below.

If I could beta test, I will :-)

> > Well, my solution for know is to use xv in 1600x1200@75 Hz which produce
>
> 50Hz of kvdr does not mean that it can only be used at 50Hz screen-refresh
> rate. However - if the 50Hz from TV are displayed at an higher rate and this
> happens unsynchronized you get aliasing effects in time:
>
> It is the same thing that makes turning wheels in movies backwards.
>
> There are 2 solutions to this:
> 1. synchronize it (there is a hack for certain graphics cards which generate a
> interrupt at every frame which can be used for synching)
> 2. use a refresh frequency that is much higher than the video-frequency and is
> far away from even factors - 85 Hz would probably give better results.

I can't choose 85 Hz with my monitor because I want the 1600x1200... But
with this I have never seen better TV quality than on my monitor :-)

> Implementing PiP / Multipicture was in Xv even more easy than as overlays - it
> just copies some bytes from the secondary image into the buffer before
> scaling, you might ask the author of xawtv...

Well, I doubt he will, and I am too lazy...

	Grégoire
http://algebra.epfl.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:Gregoire.Favre@freesurf.ch

Home | Main Index | Thread Index