[vdr] Re: Black Border on BBC TV sport transmissions

Gulp, mea culpa etc.........

Shows how much attention I have paid to the pundits.........

I'll need to  take a look this evening, I was going to anyway.

Cheers Brian

Dominic Morris wrote:
Hi,

anyone else watching the European Football on BBC via sat?
Even the Wimbledon transmissions have the same effect.
I have the strange effect that there is a black border around the screen.
I checked the properties and according to projectX they are sending;

-> video basics: 720*576 @ 25fps @ 0.7031 (16:9) @ 15000000bps,

So it really looks as if they are sending a black border. I tried 4*3 and 16*9 seettings in VDR and that just screws up the proportions.

Is this normal for BBC Sport?

Yup, normal for the BBC at any rate! The studio pundits are filmed at 16:9 and the feed from Portugal is at 4:3, since they don't like to change the aspect ratio during a programme they send out the match bordered.

Be grateful you cann't get ITV - they have lovely coloured pattern bars down the side instead!

I'm not sure how it's handled on DVB-T though. Since I can't display off screen using ivtv I don't interpret the AFD flags - are they sending them down so STBs can do a punchout?

cheers,

d.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index