[vdr] Re: Interlacing

Tony Houghton wrote:
Some disadvantages with Matrox:

AFAIK the TV-out doesn't work with X, at least not with the mga driver,
but it might be possible to do something with X's vesafb driver.
Well, that depends if one sees this as a disadvantage. I bought the G400 especially for building a HTPC on which I refuse to install X. The alternative would have been Nvidia + X + hardware Xvmc, but as I opted for DirectFB which simply looks great when properly setup on a Matrox, that's how I see it...
A dxr3 or a FF DVB card may do MPEG1/2 decoding very well and may have a very good picture quality, but so do most domestic DVB receivers too. If I do DVB on a PC, I want it do more than that, decode various other formats without transcoding first at the expense of CPU cycles which I'd rather put into decoding, decode even HDTV (MB + CPU upgrade) when the time is right for that, so current hardware decoding solutions are too limited for that. And my curent 1GHz Duron which doesn't know about any power-saving techniques (like modern AMD64 desktop-targeted processors know already at present) is quiet enough when just decoding MPEG2. I only switch on 2 aditional fans when I have to compile things for a longer time (because I'm using Gentoo, compile everything with optimezed flags). So regarding noise levels on software-decoding solutions, things can be improved, and will improve further, especially when choosing the right hardware.

Last time I looked, none of the Matrox cards available at reasonable
prices on eBay included TV-out.
True, they're not very cheap. I bought mine for 30-40€ on the german eBay.

The above HOWTO mentions kernel patches for 2.4.*, so the situation with
2.6 is unknown to me at present. Other guides say a closed binary HAL is
needed, which I was never able to find for download.
Yes, that's true, I also was enlightened by Ville Syrjälä on the DFB mailing list that in order to use a 2.6 kernel you have to use the CVS version of DFB, and compile it with sysfs enabled. And the weird thing is that the howto was still good up to a certain version of the 2.6 kernels, I gues 2.6.5 or so, then something changed in the kernel (I don't remember very well, I guess the procfs support or something, and then they had to use sysfs to find the i2c devices on the system). Anyway, I have it running for several 2.6.x kernel versions (2.6.9 at the moment), and it's really not too hard to setup, although the howto is not 100% up to date.

Lucian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index