Pinnacle PCTV Pro
- Miro PCTV
- Miro PCTV Pro
- Pinnacle PCTV
- Pinnacle PCTV Pro
They are supported under Linux.
These Miro and Pinnacle cards were the original PCTV series, produced from December 1997 onwards. They are based on the Bt848 chip (Also see Bttv devices (bt848, bt878)). The PCTV Pro model includes an FM radio chip.
These cards feature:
- TV input: RF connector for a PAL/NTSC/SECAM ... (Resolution: 768x576 and 720x576 (PAL)) ... ??? with adapter to IEC connector (PAL)
- Video Input: S-Video, Composite Video (RCA socket)
- Audio Outputs: 3.5 mm jack
- FM radio RF signal (PRO only): Internal RC jack with flying wire to IEC connector
- Video composite out (internal)
- These Pinnacle cards are supplied with a remote controller which seems to be the same as for the Pinnacle PCTV 50i.
- TV tuner: Temic 4002 FH5 (also possibly Philips on some cards)
- Analog demodulator: MSP3410D-B4 (msp3400)
- FM radio chip (PRO models only): MSP3410
- Video/audio decoder: bt848
See the lspci output provided below.
Making it work
Connecting the card
- The TV antenna signal is connected to the antenna input.
- The card has no on board sound A/D so a cable (supplied) should be connected from the card audio output connector to a generic sound input (on either your sound card or your motherboard). Sound will needs to be redirected using sox (also see the Talk page for some examples).
- The card itself lacks an input for the remote control. Rather, the remote control sensor cable (supplied) is connected to a 9 pin serial input (usually there is one on your motherboard).
The cards may be detected automatically, but at least for the Pro card is is required to specify options explicitly in /etc/modules.cond (for Fedora, other distributions may do it differently):
options bttv card=11 tuner=0
bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture bttv: Bt8xx card found (0). bttv0: Bt848 (rev 18) at 0000:00:0a.0, irq: 21, latency: 32, mmio: 0xe2001000 bttv0: using: MIRO PCTV pro [card=11,insmod option] bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00e707df [init] tuner 2-0060: All bytes are equal. It is not a TEA5767 tuner 2-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (bt848 #0 [sw]) tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (bt848 #0 [sw]) msp3400 2-0040: MSP3410D-B4 found @ 0x80 (bt848 #0 [sw]) msp3400 2-0040: MSP3410D-B4 supports nicam, mode is autodetect bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... found bttv0: miro: id=1 tuner=0 radio=matchbox stereo=yes bttv0: using tuner=0 tuner 2-0060: type set to 0 (Temic PAL (4002 FH5)) bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... found bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found bttv0: registered device video1 bttv0: registered device vbi1 bttv0: registered device radio1
00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt848 Video Capture (rev 12) Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21 Memory at e2001000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
The card was autodetected by bttv as card=39, but didn't work. However when I added
options bttv card=39 tuner=33
it started working! Must be some bug, since only "tuner=33" didn't work either. Pinnacle PCTV Pro bought in Sweden (PAL).
All output from Ubuntu Hardy
bttv: driver version 0.9.17 loaded bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture bttv: Bt8xx card found (0). bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:01:09.0, irq: 17, latency: 16, mmio: 0xfdeff000 bttv0: detected: Pinnacle PCTV [card=39], PCI subsystem ID is 11bd:0012 bttv0: using: Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Rave [card=39,insmod option] bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00fffbff [init] msp3400 0-0040: MSP3410G-B11 found @ 0x80 (bt878 #0 [sw]) msp3400 0-0040: MSP3410G-B11 supports nicam and radio, mode is autodetect and autoselect tuner 0-004b: chip found @ 0x96 (bt878 #0 [sw]) tda9887 0-004b: tda988[5/6/7] found @ 0x4b (tuner) tuner 0-004b: type set to tda9887 Chip ID is not zero. It is not a TEA5767 tuner 0-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (bt878 #0 [sw]) bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... found bttv0: pinnacle/mt: id=2 info="PAL+SECAM / stereo" radio=yes bttv0: tuner type=33 mt20xx 0-0060: microtune: companycode=3cbf part=42 rev=95 mt20xx 0-0060: microtune MT2050 found, OK tuner 0-0060: type set to MT2050 bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... found bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found bttv0: registered device video0 bttv0: registered device vbi0 bttv0: registered device radio0 bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 . ok
lspci -v -nn
01:09.0 Multimedia video controller : Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture [109e:036e] (rev 11) Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems Inc. PCTV pro (TV + FM stereo receiver) [11bd:0012] Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 16, IRQ 17 Memory at fdeff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities:  Vital Product Data Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
01:09.1 Multimedia controller : Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture [109e:0878] (rev 11) Subsystem: Pinnacle Systems Inc. PCTV pro (TV + FM stereo receiver, audio section) [11bd:0012] Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17 Memory at fdefe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities:  Vital Product Data Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2