[linux-dvb] WG: /dev/video

 > My card is a WinTV Nova and I'm using driver version 2002-01-16 on
 > Suse-Linux 7.3 (kernel 2.4.10-4GB).
 > My real problem is: I want to stream the received TV-Station.
 > I've already tried some different methods of streaming (using
 > the files provided by the DVBVideoLAN Project, using the dvbstream-0.3,
 > using the Apple-Opensource-Streamingserver), but I never was able to
 > get a picture on a Windows-PC in the LAN. (dvbstream works fine,
 > but the output can only be viewed on a linux-machine).

AFAIK, some people on the list are working on that.

 > So I decided to use ffserver and ffmpeg.
 > ffmpeg needs a tuned station on /dev/video, grabs it and sends the
 > output to the ffserver, which streams it across the LAN (and I think
 > ffserver can get its input only via http from ffmpeg).
 > So i need a valid video-source at /dev/video.

Only the DVB-s card gives you an uncompressed stream, because it has
an MPEG decoder. The Nova just delivers the stream from the satellite.
ffmpeg works with the DVB-s and you can use get_http from the
mpegtools to receive it and pipe the output somewhere else.
With the Nova card you could try to combine ts2ps and the part of
ffmpeg that sends data to ffserver to serve an MPEG program
stream. Should not be too hard, but you would have to study the ffmpeg
and ffserver code.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de