[linux-dvb] Re: New NOVA-T model 928 with Conexant Chipset?

Johannes Stezenbach <js@convergence.de> writes:

> I'm curious: Did Happpauge pay you for writing the driver,
> or is it your private effort?

No private effort, it's supported and payed by Hauppauge.  I didn't
wrote it but know because one of the guys involved contacted me some
time ago.  The driver (at least the cx2388x bits) is based on my cx88
driver, thus GPL.

The problem with the driver is that it was written with specs under
NDA, thus they can't release the source code (until the legal issues
are sorted with Connexant, which hopefully happens soon).  They can't
even release binaries, because according to the GPL they would have to
release the sources as well then.

The cx2388x part likely isn't a problem any more in near future, specs
are (sort of) public, independant patches for dvb support exist and
I'll merge them into cx88 soon.

The harder part is the connexant frontend.  No specs, thus likely no
independant free driver.  On the other hand Hauppauge might be able to
release at least a binary-only module for the frontend, assuming the
frontend driver driver was written from scratch and they have the
option to release it with any license they want (and thus without
source until the NDA issues are solved).

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;

Home | Main Index | Thread Index