[linux-dvb] Re: Twinhan DST / TS204 and signal quality questions

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Well, I was exaggerating a tiny bit, but you get the idea. You cannot
trust "signal quality" readings from consumer equipment.
Got it. The only interesting piece of information that my Thomson STB supplies is the BER value (in exponent number form, not some cheesy bar graph), with gives some idea of how the signal looks to the frontend. But it would be even more interesting to have the BER calculated both before and after the FEC takes place, in that case it would have been easy to output some "real" quality data, but as the packets before FEC would be hard to come by if not designing new frontend chips, I don't think we'll see anything like that soon..

This is the hard part about the digital domain, just think Compact Discs which play and play with (virtually) no degradation when getting scratched, up until it's unplayable as the FEC cannot cope with it anymore. No heads-up warning before that, it just dies with uncorrectable errors. So in some cases it would be interesting to get the BER of the non-corrected data, for quality measurments.

(OTOH our frontend drivers could still be crap compared to some STB,
regardless what the "signal quality" readings say.)
That's a completely different thing, it all comes down to how to get access to the frontend data - and it seems that some frontends just doesn't want to supply as much measurements as others, then no amount of driver hacking can get it back (unfortunately)..

It's not the fault of the frontend, which signals data/fec output
on a pin. But I guess Twinhan saved to decode this pin to make the
hardware cheaper. Which IMHO isn't a real problem.
Right, my mistake. I see the idea, it just never occured to me why it would ever be interesting to look at the (already used) fec data, except for frontend chip debugging. No real problem, I was just curious.

/Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index