[mpeg2] Re: kfir MPEG 2 Board

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, torsten wrote:

> www.linuxmedialabs.com
> http://linuxmedialabs.com/LML_products.php?category=0&PHPSESSID=93ab368a41d1f19ade7c78cb69045d91
> MPEG compression PCI board: $250

That card is only MPEG1, which means unacceptable (for most applications)
video quality.

> If you have plenty of time, I would recommend looking at
> MJPEG boards.  They are cheaper ($15 on ebay), have comparable
> or better quality.  It can take a couple of hours to convert
> an MJPEG stream to MPEG stream.

There are plenty of options if you don't want real-time MPEG2 encoding,
including using DV over firewire, MJPEG, raw AVI, etc.  The problem is the
storage requirement and the time required to encode as MPEG2.  If you are
wanting to do a PVR application or live MPEG2 streaming there is really no
other choice but to have a hardware MPEG2 encoder.  Even for things like
DVD authoring, the time required to encode to MPEG2 is prohibitive as well
as the space requirement.

--
John A. Tamplin					jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave