[mpeg2] Question about the MPEX encoder board

Hello,

I need an MPEG2 encoder board supported by linux, and I was thinking
about getting an MPEX board:
http://linuxtv.org/mpeg2/mpex.xml

However, the above cited web page is a little bit scary: " The driver is
in an early stage. TS output works but no setting of encoding parameters
like bitrate or GOP-size...". Is the web page just outdated, or is the
driver still not mature enough? I dowloaded the driver (mpex.tar.gz),
and it seems to be pretty old (23-Apr-2003... Almost 1 year old). Is
this the latest version? I see that it seems to be the V4L2 saa7134
driver; is the MPEX board supported by recent snapshots from
http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2 ?

I am wondering if someone has an MPEX board, and if he is able to set
the encoding parameters (CBR vs VBR, bitrate, GOP size). MPEG2 TS would
be fine (no need for PS). Also, how is the quality of the encoded
streams (compared for example to a KFIR)?

If the support for MPEX is still not mature enough, any suggestion for a
good quality MPEG2 encoder supported by linux (no binary drivers)?

			Thanks,
				Luca
                               N O    W A R ! ! !

Home | Main Index | Thread Index