[vdr] Re: Commands executed in connection with timers

> EN> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:37:03 +0100, Mathias Born
> EN> <mborn@faphida.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> >> But it makes the disk QUIET which is the most important
> aspect in my
> >> case.
>
> EN> Yes, it is absolut silent after the disk has died. ;-)
>
> The HD will not die due to some spin up/downs more. The same happens
> when switching the machine on or off.
>
> But it will die when I throw a stone at it because I cannot stand the
> noise any longer :-)

Actually there is a significant difference between IDE and SCSI HDD's
nowadays (besides the interface):

SCSI disks are made to run permanantly. Lifetime suffers from regular
spin-ups and -downs.
IDE disks are made for end user PC's running from time to time only.
Lifetime suffers from running permantly. They are made to spin up and down a
lot.
Actually, the best would be to run the system in ramdisk and use the HD only
for /video, i.e. recording and replaying.
And if you are still unsure: Use a notbook HDD they especially are made for
heavy duty spin-up and down ( in order to save power).

CR.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index