[vdr] Re: RUNVDR-Script stop working

> Axel Gruber wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a realy stupid problem:
> >
> > i start my VDR on a other Machine via SSH and i use the
> RUNVDR Script.
> >
> > i use  this command:
> >
> > ./runvdr -c /vdr/settings -v /video0 &
> >
> > That should mean that the script will be executed in
> background - and it seem to work - but after some time
> (sometimes 1 Hour - sometimes 5 Hours)  - then the VDR is not
> running and also the Script is not running. If i look at the
> logile i only see the "exit" and thatīs all.
> >
> > Does anyone have a idea what happened ?
>
> usening an & does mean the command runs in backround - correct, but it
> is not detached from the terminal. this means the script is a child of
> the terminal - so when the terminal exits for any reason - its childs
> will get the kill signal. thats why there are daemons, after startup,
> they are no longer connected to their startup terminal.

Thats where the 'nohup' commands enters the scene.

quote manpage:
DESCRIPTION
     The nohup  utility invokes the named command with the  argu-
     ments   supplied.    When  the  command  is  invoked,  nohup
     arranges for the SIGHUP signal to be ignored by the process.

     The nohup  utility can be used when it is known that command
     will take a long time to run and the user wants to logout of
     the terminal; when a shell exits, the system sends its chil-
     dren  SIGHUP  signals,  which  by  default  cause them to be
     killed. All  stopped,  running,  and  background  jobs  will
     ignore  SIGHUP  and continue running, if their invocation is
     preceded by the nohup  command or if the process programmat-
     ically has chosen to ignore SIGHUP.
unquote

Home | Main Index | Thread Index