[vdr] Re: Reducing noise (was commands ...)

On Friday, 21. September 2001 05:09, you wrote:
> Mathias,
>
>     When they do get to the point that you can easily hear them, even over
> the white noise from all the fans, then thats a pretty good sign that they
> are approaching failure.  I have seen some that do whine yet still stay

Really? My 40Gig Maxtor is just a year old and is getting loud...

> healthy for quite some time, but thats the exception, not the rule.  I'd be
> leery of any drive making that amount of noise.  I really haven't seen any
> drive manufactured fairly recently ( say, within the last 3-4 years or so )
> ever do this though.  It was fairly common to see the occasional noisy
> drive prior to that time.  About the time drive capacities started to climb
> dramatically, the overall quality ( and quietness(g) ) improved too...
> your mileage may vary though...

Recently i bought cork plates (10mm) and placed them anywhere in the casing
and simply laid the drives a small pieces of such plates (fixed with rubber
strings), additional i powered all fans with 7V instead of 12V (connect the
plus wire to 12V and the minus wire to 5V).

You can not hear the drive spindles anymore (just random head movements come
through), the power-fan is the noisiest part now (despite 7V), overall it's
more silent than my old VCR.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index