[vdr] Re: Video Disk Recorder version 0.96

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:29:00AM +0200, Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> matthias@pentax.boerde.de(Matthias Weingart)  01.10.01 21:57
>
> Once upon a time Matthias Weingart shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 06:53:44PM +0000, Stefan Huelswitt wrote:
>
> >> We could keep a clean setup menu only with options which
> >> need to be changed at runtime and we could introduce more config
> >> options (like the speed settings) so that the user can adjust VDR
> >> to his needs.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
>
> >Autsch, then you have the problem to decide, what option is important
> >and what not.
>
> No, just let the user define the options which to be OSD editable
> in the config file too... ;-)

I think the main issue is: KEEP IT SIMPLE. And currently it is simple.

> The advantage to have all as OSD:
> One do not need a keyboard+VGAscreen or net work connection
> in the livingroom.

I think this is a big advantage - I know many people do not have
a Monitor in the living room.

> The disadvantage?
> Submenus?
> Long Menus?
> Non-auhorized persons may "play" with the setting, leaving
> the device unusable.

This disadvantages do not really hurt, I think.

Another idea: write a tty-driver for the OSD - and
you can use your keyboard do edit all possible configfiles,
read and write emails, and surf (with lynx) :-)

        Matthias

Home | Main Index | Thread Index