[vdr] Re: Programm VDR over Web

Guido Fiala wrote:

> On Monday,  1. October 2001 22:20, you wrote:
> > Guido Fiala wrote:
> >
> > > He want's to click around in some program guide (may it be tvtv) at his
> > > office PC or some public-access web terminal from anywhere in the world
> > > and then press a button at that webpage, a user@host & password box
> > > appears, you enter the necessary information to log into your vdr-box at
> > > home (which is online via flatrate), and your VDR gets programmed.
> >
> > I wonder if anybody has even tried epg2timers as it is. ;-)
>
> You are right ;-) but i do not use tvtv for now, using master-timer is more
> interesting to me for that part (but depends on the mostly incomplete EPG)
>
> The remote login method i intended to be an "additional" feature to interfere
> directly with vdr. Of course you can still ssh into your machine and start a
> telnet-session to do so...

I wouldn't want to implement full "login" control etc. into VDR.
That's something the system already does a lot better.

> BTW, how about MHP? As it's supposed to be _the_ standard for next generation
> boxes.

As far as I understand this, MHP is only needed for the broadcasters to run "their"
applications, like EPGs, teleshopping and games (I always wonder who needs games?).
Since the EPG data is available in readable form, and VDR presents that data in
a way that is the same for all stations (with MHP I guess every station or at least
"bouquet" will implement their own idea about the EPG) I see absolutely no need to
implement this in VDR. Besides, it would require a much higher resolution OSD and
Java (yuck!!!). I can see no feature MHP would provide that is absolutely necessary
in a digital sat receiver / video recorder, that isn't already available in VDR
or couldn't be implemented witout MHP.

To me it sometimes seems like people believe MHP _is_ digital tv. This is complete
nonsense. Digital tv is DVB - and nothing else. MHP (just like OpenTV and all the other
stuff) is just something that people _think_ is necessary to provide "bells and whistles".
I can live without this MHP stuff, and I don't think VDR will ever implement this.
Apart from this, I'm not sure if it wouldn't require an MHP license to implement it.

Klaus