[vdr] Re: OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:52:03 +0200, "Koch, Steffen"
<steffen.koch@sphinx-elektronik.de> wrote:

> where is the additional controller mentioned??? And DM 699,- are 5,8 DM/GB
> ??

In one of the reports.

> > > Do you already have a board with 4 IDE channels?
> >
> > Sort of. I have a board with 2 IDE channels plus an extra IDE
> > controller PCI card.

I have the GA-7ZXR Rev.3.0 board with onboard Promise raid controller.

> > > I have currently 7 80 GB Maxtors in use and that is more than enough
> > > space for the next few months. :)
> >
> > Doesn't that produce a lot of noise and consume a lot of power?

The server is in the basement, noise doesn't matter. The server with 7
disks, DVD, 700 MHz Duron, 128 MB memory, Geforce card, 4 DVB-S cards
uses constantly 132 Watt. Thats a lot, but at the same time I saved
about 100 W with my A/V-equipment, projector, electric screen and other
things by avoiding standby through use of Master-Slave sockets. So there
is not so much change. If everything else works with the server I will
look whether automatic shutdown and restart is an option.

> > > You can get the 80 GB models very cheap (5 DM/GB) currently. It will
> > > take some time until this disk reaches this price.
> >
> > No, it will initially cost 5 DM/GB - including a "free" ATA 133
> > controller. See http://www.vv-computer.de

We will see. At the time of availability the price for the standard 80
GB disks will probably have dropped further. ;-) But I agree that this
will the way to go in the future.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index