[vdr] Re: 50 Gb on a rewritable DVD !

Jean-Claude Repetto wrote:

> Matsushita Electric (Panasonic) introduces a blue Laser
> rewriteable dual-layer optical disc technology.
>
> http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en011015-2/en01
> 1015-2.html
>
> I don't know when it'll be available, but it looks interesting for archiving
> VDR files !

I'd be extremely surprised if we see it in a consumer-level format
before 5-10 years have elapsed, probably more. Before that, technologies
such as this may be pioneered in various forms incompatible with each
other at prices per gig at or over the level offered by high-capacity
hard drives (but with higher shelflife/reliability, for backup
solutions).

For now, the consumerlevel market seems likely to focus on DVD-R (or +R,
or -RAM, or...) for a while.

Jasper

Home | Main Index | Thread Index