[vdr] Re: subtitles in DVD replay (was: Re: Video Disk Recorder version 0.97)

Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M wrote:

 > Hello,
 > you cannot choose subtitles since it has not been implemented, yet.
 >
 > There have been discussions about using the OSD. But first of all, the
 > OSD produces picture distortions from time to time and, secondly, the

I'm still wondering why that is, does it also happen with the same cards
under windows?

 > DVD-video standard implements subtitles as subpictures. So there is no
 > easy way to extract the text from the subtitle stream.

Actually it is possible. The original dvdplayer from Matjaz Thaler
contains an SPU decoder that uses the OSD to display subtitles. I didn't
implement that for vdr, since the way vdr handles the OSD is different.

 > Because the MPEG stream is decoded within the DVB card we can only
 > hope to have some kind of overlay feature in the hardware or to go
 > with Softwaresolutions...
 >
 > CR.

Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index