[vdr] Re: nvram-wakeup

arno.esser@gmx.de(Arno Esser)  26.10.01 21:43

Once upon a time Arno Esser shaped the electrons to say...

>My dear list,

>my computer shows some obscure behavior. I try to use the nvram-wakeup
>utility to automatically restart my computer before the recording
>shall start. When I test the procedure manually (nvram-wakeup and then
>halt) everything works fine. The computer restarts automatically. If
>the commands are executed from vdr by following script:

>#!/bin/bash

>/dvb/nvram-wakeup | /usr/bin/logger -t nvram-wakeup

>if /dvb/nvram-wakeup -s $1 ; then
>     /dvb/nvram-wakeup | /usr/bin/logger -t nvram-wakeup
>     /sbin/halt

It is not recommend to use "halt" on regular basis.
On some systems "halt" is a very hard (emergency) stop,
not a link to shutdown.

>else
>     echo "wakeup failed" | /usr/bin/logger -t nvram-wakeup
>fi

>then the values are correctly set in BIOS (I checked that after the
>next reboot)

In the BIOS or with the nvram-wakeup?

>but the machine does not start. So where is the
>difference in execution between manual starting and starting via vdr??

I have the same effect that teh machin do not wake up always (MS-6215 box)
I too implemented the "second instant reboot" as suggested.

The weired thing: Sometimes it works...

I had an additional hardware switch clock which switches the
power really off for one minute, when i could assume that the
box is normally really off.
(Intention: If the system were totally instable i hope that
such a power on reset maybe fix it).

Did you try if there is a difference bewteen
"power off" with the "power off"-key or "time out" shutdown?

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //

Home | Main Index | Thread Index