[vdr] Re: Time-shift with 3 cards (one used for encrypted channels)

Norbert Schmidt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> first: Thanx Klaus for the great job you did. I really enjoy
> my new toy. I started with one DVB-S 2.1/CI/SE4.7 and recently
> threw my d-box I away, halleluja ;-)
>
> So, I will now be able to do time-shifting and I am planning to
> use the following configuration ...
>
> - 1st DVB-S               (connected to TV)
> - 2nd DVB-Nova
> - 3rd DVB-S CI/SE4.7
>
> ... to make the following at the same time possible ...
>
> a)      1st watch  TV/video/time-shift 2nd/3rd card
>          OR record free-to-air (depending on PrimaryLimit)
>         2nd record free-to-air
>         3rd record PW
>          OR record nothing (!!!)*
>         *Because a scheduled PW-record should be done***
>
> b)      1st watch  TV/video/time-shift 2nd/3rd card
>          OR record free-to-air (depending on PrimaryLimit)
>         2nd record free-to-air
>         3rd record free-to-air (!!!)**
>         **Because no scheduled PW-record***
>
> Is it possible to setup channels.conf to make the above written
> scenario possible? Especially concerning the 3rd card ***?
> If yes, what exactly has to be done?
>
> Because of *** I'm not sure if and how it works. Especially as I
> found this from Klaus (8/2001) on my search through manuals and
> list I am afraid it won't:
>
> > If the 'Ca' parameter of the channel to be recorded is set to
> > '0', VDR will select a free card that is NOT the primary card
> > to record. If all non-primary cards are currently recording, or
> > if the Ca parameter is set to the number of the primary card,
> > it will use the primary card.
>
> Any hints are welcome.
> Bye and thanx
> Norbert
>
> (PS:
> I know, that in any case, only one PW-Channel could be recorded
> or watched at a given time, whereby watching would need 1st AND
> 3rd card)

That would be pretty much the same setup as I have (3 Siemens DVB-S,
with CAM in the third card), so I would say that what you describe
should all be possible.

Recordings will first occupy the second card, then the third one.
In any case a PW recording will grab the third one, possibly forcing
an ongoing recording to continue on the first (primary) card.

Klaus