[vdr] Re: keys/menus: wrap

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> >
> > What is the intention not to let the scroll bar "wrap"
> > at the end/start of the recording/timer(etc) list/menus?
> >
> > I found that too in timers: active "yes/no" i do always fail
> > to press the right key :-) If it "wraps" or in this case
> > "toggles", there would be no problem...
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand what you are talking about...

Rainer says that vdr forces you to press RIGHT to change a
boolean from false to true and to press LEFT to change a
boolean from true to false and that there is no reaction
whatsoever if you press LEFT on a boolean that is already
false or if you press RIGHT  on a boolean that is already
true.

Rainer suggests that both LEFT and RIGHT should toggle
booleans. In other words, "increasing" true "wraps around"
to false and "decreasing" false "wraps around" to true.

I agree that tha would be practical and save you from
some confusion.

I generally believe that a user friendly system should
simply NEVER ignore a user input without any kind of
feedback.

I guess one could debate the question whether trying to
increase a value that is already the highest value
allowed should yield a friendly error message or should
wrap around as suggested by Rainer or do some other
default action.

But I am sure that simply ignoring a user input is
never nice.

This wrap around could be applied to all sorts of other
things, such as the highlighted line in the recordings
and channels list, etc.

Here too, I believe it would be practical and often
provide me with a shorter path to my destination line.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index