[vdr] Re: Reiserfs vs. XFS.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:45:11 +0100, "Thilo Wunderlich" <tw@ubcom.net>
wrote:

> > Yes, that's true. I avoided XFS because it was to much work to integrate
> > it.
>
> Excuse me ?
> download the kernel
> download the xfs patch
> download the xfs tools
> patch kernel
> compile kernel
> compile tools
> boot new kernel
> make xfs filesystem
> mount it in /etc/fstab
>
> and your done. Thats not complicated.

I didn't write it is complicated, I wrote it is to much work. ;-)

I wanted to keep the SuSE kernel because at least for some time I need
the ReiserFS, too. And the xfs patch doesn't work with the SuSE kernel
out of the box.

Your procedure above certainly works fine for a poor XFS system. But
integrating the ReiserFS again is considerable work.

I prefer to install a SuSE update and use the functionality provided
with it. I probably go for EXT3 or JFS as next step.

Also remember, I have 500 GB ( ok used only about 250 GB currently) of
data which has to be moved smoothly to new file system without any data
loss. I managed to do this conversions already several times without any
loss and it takes a few days of work to move anything. And during this
time my family wants to use Linux-VDR just as always. ;-)

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index