[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AW: Problem with DVD-AC3-Playback and VDR0.98

Sorry, if this gets too much off topic please someone tell me so.
I still think there are at least a few people out there with AC3 equipment
who are searching for an FAQ-style solution to this....

Yes, I'm starting to realize that this might be exactly my problem.
I don't seem to be able to tell aplay how to do that.

I tried

cat [dvd]test.ac3 | ac3iec958 [-x] | aplay [-f dat] [-f S16_BE] [-M] [-D
hw:0,2]

in all permutations....
'hw:0,2' seems to do the same as 'iec958' or 'spdif', both options dont work
together with S16_BE.
The spdif in stays looped, and when I force it to be silent I hear strobing
white noise.
BTW: test.ac3 is a stream I got by replaying a VDR recording using the
option -a 'cat > test.ac3'.
ac3dec -C plays this one without any problems on spdif and my amplifier
shows "AC3 3/2.1" on its display.
dvdtest.ac3 is a stream I got the same way by replaying a DVD. It does not
work with ac3dec (stuttering and too fast, complaining about CRC all the
time).

> a modern A/V amplifier or receiver should be able to determine
> the data bit
> within the preamble of every PCM frame and this should cause to handle
> the embedded AC3 frames therein.

In my case, it doesn't. It works well with ac3dec however (only not with
DVDs as I mentioned before).

> The sample frequence is 48kHz (not 44.1 kHz), 16 bit, and the data is
> given in big endian.  You may switch this with `-x' option of
> ac3iec958 or try the format s16b with the option -f of aplay.  Some
> aplay's are patched (or from beta alsa tree) and have the options
> -P and -C (which means AES IEC95 professional and AES IEC95 consumer
> or in other words AES/EBU and S/PDIF)

I think, that might be the key to it?
I tried the latest (Beta 9) ALSA driver/lib/utils/tools as well as today's
CVS.
None of those aplay versions there has a -C or a -P option however....

How can I get that patched aplay? Is it a special SuSe version?

Greetings and thanks for your help
Stephan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index