[vdr] Re: DVD Playback

Carsten Koch wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> while I am a big fan of and a small contributor to VDR,
> I have not yet used any of the "non-standard" vdr patches
> available.
>
> It seems that my Yamakawa DVD player, which costs little
> more than a DVD ROM for my VDR PC, still does many things
> that VDR does not. The Yamakawa plays back
>
> *  NTSC DVDs on PAL TVs.
> *  PAL DVDs on NTSC TVs.

> *  VCDs.
> *  SVCDs.

- there is a patch for this

> *  audio CDs.

- maybe someone could do that, shouldn't be too hard

> *  data CDs with MP3 files on them.

- theres a patch for this

> *  DVDs with any region code.

- this depends only on your DVD drive, if it accepts any region code,
   then so does vdr

> *  DVDs with full menu support (including the frog game

>    in the Raumpatrouille Orion DVD).

- comming soon, i've never heard about that game, sounds like a good
   test for vdr's DVD compliance

Have you tested the game with ogle?

> *  Subtitles.

- comming soon

> *  All sound/language combinations avaliable on the DVD.

- works

> *  All viewing angles avaliable on the DVD.

- comming (actually that is already there, its just that nobody bothered
   to put it into the menues)

> The Yamakawa also has S-Video output and both optical and
> coax SPDIF sound.

- you can add this to the DVB card, there are some HOWTO on that topic

> Anyway, I believe VDR is on its way to do all that and to do
> it even better in some ways, so I am not at all complaining.
> But I will wait until it does before I put a DVD ROM into my
> VDR PC.
> I believe Klaus and all contributors have done a great job!
>
> However, if a 400 DM Yamakawa can do NTSC playback on PAL TVs,
> it cannot be impossible. I believe it would be OK to drop every
> 6th frame. Does the driver support that?

not as far as i know, your Yamakawa has probably hardward support for
the NTSC<->PAL conversion, the DVB card don't has that and doing it in
software probably take some CPU power.
Also, I'm not saying that it not possible, i just don't knwo (yet) how
to do it.
If you or anybody else want to implement a NTSC to PAL conversion for
the MPEG1/2 stream, he is more than welcome.

Andreas

> Carsten.
>

> Andreas Schultz wrote:
>
>>Hi Lutz,
>>
>>Die Maillinglist ist in Englisch!
>>
>>Lutz Feldgen wrote:
>>

>>>Hallo Leute,
>>>
>>>ich bin seit einiger Zeit user der vdr-soft. Grossasrtige Sache, muss
>>>ich schon sagen. Ich habe es auch geschafft, das DVD-Playback zu
>>>integrieren, nur habe ich leider das Problem, dass vdr die NTSC-DVDs
>>>in NTSC auch wiedergibt. Leider kann mein Fernseher kein NTSC, also
>>>hätte ich gerne, dass vdr sie als PAL ausgibt. Gibt es da eine
>>>Möglichkeit zu ? Im listenarchiv habe ich dazu leider nichts gefunden.
>>>
>>Unlikely. The DVB card supports only PAL and NTSC. PAL60 is not
>>supported. The only way to convert 30fps DVD's into 25fps would be to
>>drop frames. I have no idea how to do that in a sensible way.
>>I could of course, simply leave out every n-th frame, but this would
>>probably not get you a smooth playback.
>>
>>Andreas
>>

>>>Danke im Voraus,
>>>
>>> Lutz                            mailto:lfeldgen@gmx.net