[vdr] Re: DVD playback problems

On Thursday, 29. November 2001 10:59, you wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:47:27AM +0100, Sebastian Herp wrote:
> > I don't know what xv is nor what it does, but it sounds strange to me,
> > that a "program" can make 1600x1200 out of the standard pal-resolution
> > :-)
>
> He he he, then you really miss something, all "good" TV do the same, and
> with a nice interpolation, you can get a really good picture ;-))
>
> > Same here. Why should one get more than the DVD-resolution out of a DVD?
> > The video IS in 720x576 (or 768?), it cannot be viewed in a higher
> > resolution
> >
> > :-)
>
> I think you are still wrong: there are quiete different DVD resolution,
> the one you are talking about is for 4:3 one's, (and also some "untrue"
> 16:9), but you could have more resolution, just play your DVD with
> mplayer without xv, and then you seen the exact resolution of your
> DVDs...
>
> > It worked for me when I was using Windows for DVB-viewing. Fullscreen
> > 1600x1200 tv, but it was interpolated, still not more details than
> > 768x576 would give.

It will always be interpolated - have a look at the system log when it prints
the transmission resolution of MPEG2 streams : many are with 768x576 but a
lot only 480x576 or even less. Normal TV _has_ only 625 lines (less visible).
And, BTW, that is the _same_ in Windows - but maybe not as transparent to the
user.

Ok, XV does'nt use that much CPU (as it's mostly hardware) but the only
difference to a switch to 800x600 is (beside the avoid of the monitor
switching clicking ;-) that you have now a border around your window and
other X-Windows stuff.

DVB could probably go up to 1600x900 pixel in transmission (HDTV, spec?) but
that's up to the broadcasters ....

The windows driver supports some upscaling beyond 800x600 (for me 1024x768),
bttv driver alike - is that still done in the TV-card hardware or by software
or by graphics-card hardware?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index