[vdr] Re: real 16:9 aspect ratio recordings possible only in newer versions?

On 20 Dec 2001 Uwe Freese <uwe.freese@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I used vdr 0.71 a long time in the past and never had a recording in
> 16:9 format (I mean a recording that has to be resized vertically with a
> factor 0,75 to have the correct aspect ratio). All recorded movies were
> 4:3 recordings with black bars at the top and the bottom.
> I used DVD2AVI to process the MPEG files after converting with PVAS.
>
> Now I use VDR 0.99, and have some recordings on Bayern-3 and 3sat that
> have "real" 16:9 aspect ratio.

If you set the driver (via VDR setup menu) to 4:3 aspect, the
driver scales the picture apropriate. If you set 16:9 mode, no
scaling is done and your TV set is signaled (WSS if I remember
correctly) to expand the picture.

> I mean: I assume that some channels broadcasted 16:9 in some cases in
> the past, too. Is the MPEG2 stream organized in such a way that the DVB
> card with the old drivers was able to receive a 16:9 recording and store
> it as a 4:3 recording in the file?

AFAIK the stream is recorded in the format it was received. But
may be, the behaviour was changed over the various driver/vdr
verions (0.71 is ancient :-)

--
Stefan Huelswitt
huels@iname.com  | http://home.pages.de/~nathan